Baščaršija is Sarajevo’s old bazaar and the historical and cultural center of the city. Baščaršija was built in the 15th century when Isa-Beg Isaković founded the town. On Baščaršija there are several important historic buildings, such as the Gazi Husrev-beg Mosque and sahat-kula. Today Baščaršija is the major tourist attraction of Sarajevo.
The Sarajevo Tunnel, also known as Tunel spasa and Tunnel of Hope, was an underground tunnel constructed between March and June 1993 during the Siege of Sarajevo in the midst of the Bosnian War.
Gazi Husrev-beg Mosque
The Gazi Husrev-bey Mosque, is a mosque in the city of Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina. Built in 16th century, it is the largest historical mosque in Bosnia and Herzegovina and one of the most.
Svrzo’s House is an old house in Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina that was established when the Ottoman Empire ruled the area. It is a branch of the Museum of Sarajevo. It is typical in that
The Sebilj is a pseudo-Ottoman-style wooden fountain in the centre of Baščaršija square in Sarajevo built by Mehmed Pasha Kukavica in 1753. It was relocated by Austrian architect Alexander Wittek in 1891.
National Museum of Bosnia and Herzegovina
The National Museum of Bosnia and Herzegovina is located in central Sarajevo, the capital of Bosnia and Herzegovina. It was established in 1888, having originally been conceived around 1850. In 1913, the museum was enlarged by the Czech architect Karel Pařík who designed a structure of four symmetric pavilions with a facade in the Italian Renaissance Revival style. The four pavilions contain the departments of archaeology, ethnology, natural history, and a library. After being closed for several years due to heavy damage in the recent war, the museum has re-opened and is in the process of mounting new and pre-existing exhibits.
Museum of Sarajevo 1878–1918
The Museum of Sarajevo 1878–1918 (Bosnian, Croatian and Serbian: Muzej Sarajevo 1878–1918 / Музеј Срајево 1878–1918) is located near the Latin Bridge in central Sarajevo, the capital of Bosnia and Herzegovina. It holds a collection of items and photographs from the Austro-Hungarian rule in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Ars Aevi is a museum of contemporary art in Sarajevo. It was formed during the war as a “resistance of culture”. It has approximately 130 works by renowned world artists including Michelangelo Pistoletto, Jannis Kounellis, Joseph Beuys, and Joseph Kosuth. A new museum building, designed by Renzo Piano, is planned to be built in the upcoming years.
Serbian Orthodox Cathedral in Sarajevo
Serbian Orthodox Cathedral is the largest Serbian Orthodox church in Sarajevo and one of the largest in the Balkans. The construction of the church commenced in 1863 when Sarajevo was part of the Bosnia Vilayet, itself a subdivision within the Ottoman Empire.
The Emperor’s Mosque (Bosnian: Careva Džamija, Turkish: Hünkâr Camii) is an important landmark in Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina, being the first mosque to be built (1457) after the Ottoman conquest of Bosnia. It is the largest single-subdome mosque in Bosnia and Herzegovina, built in the classical Ottoman style of the era. It was built by one Isaković-Hranušić who dedicated it to the Sultan, Mehmed the Conqueror, the conqueror of Constantinople. Considered one of the most beautiful mosques of the Ottoman period in the Balkans, the mosque features a roomy interior and high quality decorative details, such as the mihrab.
Picturesque woodland park featuring a spring & pool, the source of the River Bosna, plus cafes.
Bjelašnica (pronounced [bjělaːʃnit͡sa]) is a mountain in central Bosnia and Herzegovina. It is found directly to the southwest of Sarajevo, bordering Mt. Igman. Bjelašnica’s tallest peak, by which the whole mountain group got its name, rises to an elevation of 2067 meters (6782 feet). Other notable peaks are Krvavac (2061 m), Mali Vlahinja (2055 m), and Hranisava (1964 m). The Bjelašnica range is bordered by the Rakitnica in the south, the Neretva in the west, Mt Igman in the north-east and Mt Ivan in the north-west. Only at 20 minutes distance of Sarajevo, it is a popular tourist attraction for hiking and skiing.
Jahorina (Cyrillic: Јахорина pronounced [jâxɔrina]) is a mountain in Bosnia and Herzegovina, located near Pale in the Dinaric Alps. It borders Mount Trebević, another Olympic mountain. Jahorina’s highest peak, Ogorjelica, has a summit elevation of 1,916 metres (6,286 ft), making it the second-highest of Sarajevo’s mountains, after Bjelašnica at 2,067 m (6,781 ft). Mount Jahorina hosted the women’s alpine skiing events of the 1984 Winter Olympics. Jahorina is located 15 km (9.3 mi) from Pale and 30 km (19 mi) from Sarajevo. The international airport in Sarajevo is located 33 km (21 mi) from Jahorina, connected with the ski resort by a new motorway.
Igman is a mountain plateau in central Bosnia and Herzegovina. It is located southwest of Sarajevo, bordering the Bjelašnica range in the south and west, Hadžići and Ilidža in the north, and the river Željeznica in the east. Igman’s highest point, Crni vrh, west of the Malo Polje road, at an altitude of 1,510 metres. During the 1984 Winter Olympics, Igman was, along with Jahorina and Bjelašnica, the location of the competition in the alpine and Nordic sports disciplines. Igman hosted primarily the Nordic disciplines; the Igman Olympic Jumps in the Malo Polje area were the site of the ski jumping events and also the ski jumping part of the Nordic combined events. Meanwhile, the Veliko Polje hosted the biathlon, cross-country skiing, and the cross-country skiing part of the Nordic combined event
The Skakavac waterfall
The Skakavac waterfall near Sarajevo is one of the greatest and most attractive waterfalls in BiH and it stands for a real tourist attraction. The waterfall is 98 metres high and placed in the landscape of exceptional beauty.
Trebević is a mountain in central Bosnia and Herzegovina. It is found directly to the southeast of Sarajevo. Trebević is 1627 meters (5338 ft) tall, making it the second shortest of the Sarajevo mountains. Trebević, like the other Sarajevo mountains, was used for a number of Olympic events, such as bobsledding. During the Siege of Sarajevo, Trebević took on a darker role as its elevations proved ideal positions for besieging artillery and the mountain became a key fighting ground.
Mehmed Paša Sokolović Bridge
The Mehmed Paša Sokolović Bridge is a historic bridge in Višegrad, over the Drina River in eastern Bosnia and Herzegovina. It was completed in 1577 by the Ottoman court architect Mimar Sinan
The Drina (Serbian Cyrillic: Дрина, pronounced [drǐːna]) is a 346 km (215 mi) long international river, which forms a large portion of the border between Bosnia and Herzegovina and Serbia.
Sutjeska National Park
The Sutjeska National Park (Bosnian, Serbian and Montenegrin: Nacionalni park Sutjeska, Национални парк Сутјеска; pronounced [sûtjɛska]) is a national park located in Bosnia and Herzegovina in the Republika Srpska entity. Established in 1962, it is Bosnia and Herzegovina’s oldest national park. It includes the highest peak of Maglić at over 2,386 metres (7,828 ft), on the border with Montenegro. The Montenegrin part of Maglić massif in the park has also formed the Trnovačko Jezero (Trnovačko Lake). The Strict Nature Reserve “Perućica”, one of the last two remaining primeval forests in Europe, is part of the park. The park is also famous as being the location of the Battle of the Sutjeska in 1943 during World War II. It is an affiliated member of EUROPARC Federation.
Vlašić is a mountain in the very center of Bosnia and Herzegovina. Its highest peak is Paljenik with an elevation of 1,943 m. It is famous for its pastures, cattle-breeding and cheese. It is closest to the town of Travnik, which it overlooks. The mountain is a major center for winter tourism due to its excellent accommodation for skiing, snowboarding and other winter sports. It is also a popular destination for summer and eco tourism with many hiking trails and undisturbed wilderness areas.
Vrelo Bune is the natural and architectural ensemble at the Buna river spring near Blagaj kasaba (village-town) and a part of the wider “Townscape ensemble of the town of Blagaj – Historical and Natural Heritage of Bosnia and Herzegovina”, southeast of Mostar, Bosnia and Herzegovina. It is impossible to separate the natural values from the cultural and historical heritage of Blagaj, since its distinctive quality is in the coexistence of the natural and the man-made, in the integration of the physical structure into the landscape.
Tvrdoš Monastery (Serbian Cyrillic: Тврдош) is a 15th-century Serbian Orthodox monastery near the city of Trebinje, Republika Srpska, Bosnia and Herzegovina. The 4th-century foundations of the first Roman church on the site are still visible.
Pliva and Pliva waterfall
Pliva is relatively small river in central parts of Bosnia and Herzegovina, however one of the most significant in terms of natural, cultural and historical heritage and value as a natural rarity. For hundreds of years this region was the ultimate stronghold of the Bosnian Kingdom, with town of Jajce as permanent seat of the last kings of Bosnian Kingdom. Pliva forms a magnificent 22 meters high Pliva Waterfall for which the town of Jajce is famous and along with numerous historic, cultural, architectural and natural monuments represent towns robust and valuable heretige and main attraction
Ferhat Pasha Mosque
Ferhat Pasha Mosque (Bosnian: Ferhat-pašina džamija, Turkish: Ferhad Paşa Camii), also known as the Ferhadija Mosque, is a central building in the city of Banja Luka and one of the greatest achievements of Bosnia and Herzegovina’s 16th century Ottoman Islamic architecture in Europe. The mosque was demolished in 1993 at the order of the authorities of Republika Srpska, and was rebuilt and opened on 7 May 2016.
The Dinaric Alps or Dinarides is a mountain chain which spans from Italy in the northwest, over Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia, Montenegro, Albania to Kosovo in the southeast
Fehtija mosque is a mosque and former Catholic church located in the town of Bihać, Bosnia and Herzegovina. Built in 1266, it is the oldest gothic building in the country. It was originally built as a Catholic church dedicated to Saint Anthony of Padua, and was subsequently transformed into a mosque following the 1592 conquest of Bihać from Habsburg Croatia by the Ottomans. The building was originally accompanied by a monastery, which was also mentioned in a 13th-century charter of the Croatian nobility.
The Neretva is the largest river of the eastern part of the Adriatic basin. Four HE power-plants with large dams provide flood protection, power and water.
The Museum of the Old Bridge is a museum located in the Old Town Area of Mostar, Bosnia and Herzegovina. The museum opened in 2006 to celebrate the second anniversary of the reconstruction of
Karađoz Bey Mosque
Karagözbey Mosque was built in 1554 or 1557 by Mehmed Bey Karagöz (Mehmed-beg Karađoz), the brother of Ottoman vizier Rüstem Pasha. The plans for the mosque were drawn up by famed Turkish architect, Mimar Sinan. The mosque was severely damaged during World War II, and faced near destruction during the Bosnian War in the early 1990s. However, Karagözbey Mosque, like the rest of Mostar, underwent extensive repairs between 2002 and 2004. The mosque was completely renovated, and reopened to the public in July 2004.